In today’s fast-paced and unpredictable business landscape, characterized by volatility, uncertainty, complexity and ambiguity (VUCA), organizations need to adapt and evolve to thrive. To navigate this challenging environment successfully, organizations must focus on hiring individuals with specific, identified characteristics and then provide the necessary support to help them contribute effectively. Surprisingly, in the VUCA world, it’s often those who are careful, thoughtful and, in some cases, risk-averse who can play a crucial role in safeguarding the organization’s future.
Leveraging Their Strengths for Risk Management
The strengths of careful and thoughtful employees can be invaluable in helping organizations slow down, acknowledge and prepare for risks. Here’s how to make the most of their qualities:
- Early Warning System: Encourage these employees to keep an eye out for potential risks and uncertainties. Their propensity to analyze situations in-depth can provide early warnings, allowing the organization to prepare for potential challenges.
- Consensus Building: Utilize their ability to build consensus within teams. In high-stakes decisions, their thoughtful approach can help teams come to well-rounded and informed conclusions, reducing the likelihood of risky endeavors.
- Innovation Hub: Encourage them to channel their creativity into innovation. Their ability to see opportunities where others might see only risks can lead to innovative solutions that position the organization favorably in the VUCA world.
Meeting the Needs of Careful and Thoughtful Employees
Once you’ve successfully hired careful and thoughtful employees, it’s essential to provide an inclusive and supportive work environment to help them thrive. Here’s how organizations can achieve this:
- Foster Psychological Safety: Encourage open communication and create a culture where employees feel safe to express their thoughts and concerns without fear of reprisal. Giving them this voice allows careful individuals to contribute meaningfully and to recognize their own value.
- Structured Approach: Consider an employee’s needs and preferences when approaching them with assignments and providing feedback. Communicating with careful and thoughtful employees in a structured fashion and presenting the details in a way that makes sense to them will play to their strengths. This will keep them in their comfort zone where they work most effectively.
- Address Risks: Be upfront in addressing risks with careful individuals. By recognizing, acknowledging and measuring risks, they will have the information they need from the get-go to process.
- Scenario Planning: Engage them in scenario planning, where they can weigh various options and assess their potential impact. Their thorough analysis can assist in developing strategies and processes, so everyone understands how to handle a situation when it arises. This will assure them individually and provide stabilizing factors for the organization.
In a VUCA world, organizations can benefit greatly from hiring and supporting careful, thoughtful and potentially risk-averse individuals. These employees bring valuable skills, such as risk mitigation, adaptability, problem-solving and collaboration, that can help an organization navigate the complexities of the modern business landscape. By creating an inclusive work environment that supports the needs and leverages the strengths of careful and thoughtful employees, organizations can better prepare for an uncertain future.
Crosworks also can help prepare organizations for the future with customized programs, such as Team Engagement and Maximize Your Talent. Learn more by scheduling a quick, non-binding introductory call.